FunnyGame Challenge Writeup

 

FunnyGame



Hello readers. Welcome. I am delighted to share my first-ever CTF writeup in my blog, so please forgive me if I explain poorly. It is also my first-ever CTF in Russian (I literally had to translate to understand the challenge). The FunnyGame challenge is from CybHackCTF Spring 2024. 😀

For this OSINT challenge, it tells us to find out what date the match was played in Moscow Time. The flag format is kxctf{DD-MM-YYYY}. All of these are translated in Google Translate. Of course, they provide us the "photo.jpg" so let's check it out.


photo.jpg

When I saw this picture, I knew it was Dota 2. If you are interested and need to learn more about Dota 2, feel free to search but I will only explain a little about Dota 2 here. Long story short, Dota 2 is a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) developed by Valve. I rarely played Dota 2 and I still learning how to play Dota 2. (sadly I am a League of Legends player but anyway, I am out of the topic)

In the given image, I also noticed the famous Dota 2 player, ana which you can see from the gamer tag "OG ana bit" above the hero. "OG" is the Dota 2 team that ana participated in. "ana bit" is just his in-game name (IGN). So I quickly ran through the games that ana played in the past matches.



But there were too many matches to look at, yeah, I know right. Since I was in a hurry at that moment, I picked the most important tournament matches, The Internationals (TI) which are only held annually (My gut instincts told me so and I just followed). I cherry-picked TI 2018 and TI 2019 specifically because those two were ana's greatest performances as a player and the legendary OG runs. Hence, I did not manage to find any match over 50 minutes so I looked at TI 2018. I basically reviewed every VOD of the matches otherwise it was tough to know the time & duration of each match.

To my surprise, it was in the grand final of OG vs PSG (Another Strong Chinese Dota 2 Team at that time) in Game Four. You can view the exact current timestamp of the video below!


It turned out it was the correct footage from the challenge snapshot. I tested out the grand final/video release date and verified it through joinDota.

And yup, it was indeed correct. The hero that ana played plus the date & the timeframe of the video is absolutely matched. 



Flag: kxctf{26-08-2018} 😎


Thank you all for reading my writeup on the FunnyGame challenge. It was really fun to solve this! I hope to see you all in my next blog. Goodbye!


Comments

Post a Comment

📝 Recent Posts